Title: Youth Advocacy Specialist
Reports To: Lead Advocacy Specialist
FLSA Status: Hourly, Full time, Benefitted
Posted: September 25th, 2018
The Advocacy Specialist is an important member of The Arc of Larimer County. This position will work collaboratively with the other staff members to continuously strengthen and improve the effectiveness of the advocacy and education outreach of this chapter. The Advocacy Specialist is responsible for working with and on behalf of families and children with intellectual and developmental disabilities (I/DD) on issues related to education, individual rights and community needs.
The essential functions of this job include the following.
- Advocate for the rights of individuals with I/DD; under Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), with providers of educational services and providers of services and public programs.
- Process new intakes with individuals with developmental disabilities and their family members
- Stayed informed on the latest laws, technology, and best practices in supporting individuals with I/DD
- Connect individuals with I/DD and families to community resources.
- Develop client and family ability to self-advocate when possible.
- Provide individual advocacy in legal setting without providing legal advice.
- Track volume and outcomes of direct advocacy for data collection as well as provide other reporting as requested.
2. Training and Outreach:
- Create and implement trainings and outreach in the community to empower and educate individuals/families/community members about issues related to I/DD.
- Actively involve and collaborate with other community support and/or service organizations.
- Track and evaluate participation and satisfaction of trainings/outreach and advocacy.
3. Regular and predictable attendance in the office is an essential function of this position. This position is full time. Typical office hours are Monday through Friday, 9:00am to5:00pm, with an unpaid one-hour, duty-free, uninterrupted lunch break. This position does require some ‘after hours’ work, too; for occasional trainings and workshops.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work: See Essential Duties above.
Travel: Majority of required travel is local (averages about 450 miles or more/month); there is also the possibility for attendance at an occasional out-of-state workshop or conference. Must have reliable transportation to attend offsite meetings/events, a valid driving license, and auto insurance.
Education and Experience: Bachelor’s degree in related field (e.g., Social Work,) required with minimum of two years’ experience in the field of developmental disabilities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to present in both small and large group settings.
2. Skilled at developing trusting, collaborative relationships.
3. Ability to mediate difficult situations and problem-solve.
4. Knowledge of educational law processes and best practices.
5. Knowledge of community resources, as well as Colorado Developmental Disability waivers and rules/regulations.
6. Ability to work independently.
7. Adherence to the mission and core values of The Arc of Larimer County.
8. Proficiency in using Microsoft Office Products: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
9. Bilingual in Spanish and English preferred.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
This job operates in a professional office environment. It requires the routine use of standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to verbally communicate. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit at a desk, use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee also must be able to lift and carry up to 30 pounds (e.g., props, training materials, etc.) when necessary to set-up for training/events whether onsite or offsite.
The Arc of Larimer County offers a competitive salary, contingent on experience and qualifications and an excellent benefit package. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, veteran status, disability, or national origin.
Please Note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job. Duties, responsibilities or qualifications may change at any time with or without notice.
If interested in applying for this position, please send your resume and cover letter as attachments to:
Carisa Clinton at The Arc of Larimer County email@example.com
Posting will close on Oct. 8th, 2018.